Skip to main content
Tree Removal
Tagged with:
Tue, 11/28/2017 - 00:54

This post isn't going to be so much about how we took the tree down, but more about what I learned doing a time-lapse of the process.

To start with, I will talk about taking the tree down. This particular tree was a little close to my house, and some of the branches were fairly close to the roof, which was on reason to do some heavy trimming to it, the other reason was that the tree had a lot of dead branches, and in winds it would drop twigs all over my and my neighbors yard, which neither of us really cared for. In addition to that, I want to do some serious landscaping next year, putting in a pond and a nice patio area, and this tree is completely in the way. I had started trimming it back quite a bit with a bow saw, just climbing in the tree, but it had gotten to a point where I simply couldn't cut any more branches off. My neighbor had mentioned to me that she knew a guy that burns wood for heat and would be willing to come over and take the tree down for me if he could have the wood. I had no use for the wood, so I readily agreed. Felling the tree only took about three hours with the help of the lift truck and we managed the entire process without dropping logs on anybody or doing damage to either of our houses. :)

I tried to document the entire process with my digital camera, but had a few problems. I have a external timer dodad for my camera so I can have it take a picture ever N seconds, which worked great. I had it set to take a picture every ten seconds, which I probably should have set to every five seconds, as I ended up using a frame rate of 15 for the finished video, that was the least of my problems though. When I use my camera I always shoot in Raw and Jpg, but for a timelapse I should have turned the mode to just Jpg, as I ended up running out of space on my 32 GB SD card. I could have probably shot about three times as many images if I hadn't been keeping Raws, but live and learn. The second problem I ran into was the battery died in my camera. There isn't much I could have done about this, unless there is some kind of power adapter that I could have used to have the camera running off of 120V, but if such a device exists I don't have one. All in all I was relatively happy with how this turned out, and the problems I had were more my fault than the fault of my camera and equipment.