I recently had the opportunity to help out somebody on the #minetest IRC channel. He was having trouble compiling Minetest on his Raspberry Pi. After trying to help him for an hour or two I got personally invested in the project. I have a few Pi's myself, mostly used for media players throughout the house, but I had a new one that I hadn't fully setup yet. I decided there was no better way to help somebody out than to try compiling myself to see exactly what the errors were. Following the instructions on the wiki I installed most of the dependencies, though I had some problems with client related dependencies, conflicts and missing packages. Fortunately we weren't looking to run the client on the raspberry, just a server, so I ran cmake with the following options,
cmake . -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1 -DENABLE_REDIS=1 -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 -DBUILD_CLIENT=0
This resulted in a successful build of only the server, which was perfect. I was fairly certain the individual I was helping only wanted the 0.4.17.1 release, but I figured if I already had the dependencies all figured out I may as well build the dev version as well. The build process wasn't terribly difficult, but it does take some time as a Pi doesn't have the fastest of processors. As there could be other people that want to run a Minetest server on their Pi I've uploaded the archives onto my site. You will need to download libhiredis-dev with your package manager. (Probably sudo apt-get install libhiredis-dev) for the following to work. Because this is only the server you'll have to do everything with config files and command line flags, there is no graphical user interface.
Download the archive of your choosing and extract to the location of your choice. (tar xvzf 0.4.17.1.tar.gz) The executable will be in the bin directory and can be launched with ./minetestserver You are on your own for configuring the server and security, but there is plenty of information about that on the forums.
On my Raspberry Pi3 B+ I was running around 30% CPU utilization when mapgen was running with a single player. I was just barely able to outrun the mapgen with a single player connected.